Friday, December 5, 2008

Instant Fun Thanksgiving

Hola! The past 2 weeks have been super fun. Main reason – Mari Katherine came to visit me! We had so much fun. Only bad part was that Buenos Aires was having a little heat wave and was the hottest it has ever been in November (over 100). This made for a hot Thanksgiving and really hot sightseeing but that couldn’t stop us. We’re from Louisiana – heat and humidity, bring it on. But city heat is different. And few places have air conditioning…

I picked MKB up at the airport and we had a lovely cab ride into the city catching up. Then we found our hostel, checked in, and took off to see the sights. We did some Plaza de Mayo, 9 de Julio, Congreso, and came to my residencia. That night we met my Santa Barbs for dinner at my fave resto, Cumana. It was delicious as always. Then we went home to sleep.

Day 2 was a blur of fun. We started with trendy brunch on the terrace of Quimbombo and then checked out Recoleta. We cabbed to La Boca (where MKB saw people she knows. Really? How is this possible? There were 5 guys all in LSU shirts.) Then we went to San Telmo and sat in the plaza and drank many a beer. We made some friends with some adults at the table next to us that we continued to run into the rest of the week. That night we went to a tango show at the famous Café Tortoni, which was super fun. A combo of singing, dancing, and odd jokes in Spanish that no one got.

The next day was Thanksgiving! We went to the mall and had lunch under the Christmas tree. Then we went to my fave café and shared a big piece of the best dessert in BA. We lounged for a while and then went off the best dinner I’ve had in the city. We went to La Cabrera, the “it” restaurant of the moment in Palermo. WE had to wait for a while but no probs – they give you free champagne while you wait. Then we ate maybe the biggest steak in the world that came with like, 20 little sides. It was amazing. A good substitute for turkey and dressing.

The next day we went to Colonia, Uruguay, a little town only 50 minutes away by ferry. The morning was super stressful and miz and confusing but after getting up at 6 am, going to the wrong port, taking a cab that got lost in the ghetto, and finally getting to the right ferry, we were fine. The weather was horrible but it was still fun. We rented a golf cart and drove around all day. We had a hysterical run-in with a man on a doon buggy. We went to lots of different bars and restaurants. When bored in Uruguay, drink beer. Or so we did. We got back and ate delicious Armenian food for dinner.

The next day we shopped in Palermo, went to the Recoleta fair, and ate at my fave pizza and ice cream place. Then MKB was off to the airport. Such a quick trip! It flew by.

I hung out in BA for a day or 2. Brie went home to Cali. Muy triste. The other 2 Santa Barbs took off to travel. I was alone. So I went to see High School Musical 3, which was maybe the best thing ever. It was in English with subtitles. Simply amazing. Then I went to meet the girls in Mar del Plata, a beach city about 5 hours away. It was pretty quiet there. Also a bit chilly still. We walked around, laid out, read, etc. I spent 2 nights there and now I’m back in BA. I got super sunburned. Those overcast days always get me.

I Christmas shopped today, and tomorrow I’m off to Salta in the North to travel for a week or so. I’m super excited. It’s supposed to be a whole other world up there.

Hasta la vista.

Char

No clue why everything is underlined.
























































































































Mari Kath's arrival























Jamming out to the HSM3 soundtrack in Mar del Plata while pondering life over the rock cliff ocean lookout thing.

3 comments:

Julie Ward said...

Looks like y'all had fun! I'm very very jealous of MKB and cannot wait to see my Char =)

curator of cute said...

Hi! i was just browsing through your fun blog. I was just wondering what you think of gic now that you have been in B.A for awhile. I am thinking of taking Spanish lessons with them in the new year. Great blog by the way! Hope you have tons of fun on your travels!

Will Breard said...

aww.. i love that you guys had soo much fun! so wish i had been there and i cant wait for you to get back.. two weeks.. one day.. woot woot.. i need some quality time with char in funroe.. and im hoping you'll come to charleston to play.. new place, new friends, same bar/club.. oh the times we will share.. :)

i like the storyville shirt too