Thursday, October 16, 2008

Away I go

Well, just wanted to drop a quick note. Thinsg are great in BA. It's a lovely day. I had class with Ester. I learned a lot about politics here and the political history and why things are the way they are. As I left the cafe I decided that yes - I am going to Puerto Madryn! I can do this! Solo travel South America here I come. So I bought a bus ticket online, booked myself into a hostel, and went to a locutorio to print out my confirmations and in 5 hours I am off on a 20 hour bus trip to the Patagonia. What am I thinking... but so excited!

I went to volunteer yesterday. Or to try to. And it was quite an experience. I found this program on Craig's List that helps people in La Boca (the colorful, fun, ghetto place). So I sign up and go. I walk around with this woman, Roxana, and 2 others. She takes us on a tour of "the real Boca" beyond the 3 Disney World blocks of painted tin and tango. Rough hood fo sho. She taked about how poluted and gross the Rio is (obvi, it smells awful) and how it's giving respiratory problems to the residents. She told us about the history and the living conditions and the poverty and the immigrants. We even went inside one of the "conventillos" (the tin houses) and it was not pretty. Lots of bugs. And these houses are literally tin sheds with some wood stairs. Hardly acceptable living conditions. I can't imagine how cold it gets there in winter inside a tin house. There were lots of cute, dirty children. It was quite the eye opener.

Also, my whole previous post about how fun the colorful houses are blah blah blah should be deleted because now I feel bad. She told me all about how the people who work and make money off of the boca tourism aren't living there and they just explot them. I just liked the colors...

Then we went to a "comedor" which is basically a soup kitchen. And I cooked. Kind of. I know I am hardly in a place to complain after seeing how hard life is there but omg. They gave me a huge, tupperware bin (like under the bed dorm room style) full of raw red meat. Floating in beige creamy sauce. Like a bucket of death alfredo. It was repulsive. And I had to spear the meat with a fork and then cover it in bread crumbs and then pile them on top of each other. I am still shuddering. It was groser than Old Man Garden. I know I am a spoiled little brat but this was sick. And kind of fun. But mainly gross.

Then we went to see this apartment building the co-op is constructing to house people in the conventillos. It's a big dream that I hope comes true one day, but I have to say that I doubt it.

Then we returned to the comedor to eat. Yep. I had to eat the death meat that I made. And I haven't really eaten since bc I'm still a bit naseous. It was just a beef milanesa which I eat all the time but something about seeing the process has me running veggie, Julie style. Oh the horror...

Oh and then I paid 95 pesos. Yes. You have to pay to volunteer everywhere. It's odd. I just hope the money actually goes to the right place. My teacher told me that lots of these organizations just make money off toruists like me. All I really want to do is play with some cute kids who need help. Is that so much to ask? I'll keep looking for more opportunities but don't think I'll be returning to that one. It was 7 hours of "look how miserable the conditions are and no one will help us and give me money and my life is so hard". I swear I am somewhat compassionate but I have a hard time seeing how it's the government or their landlord's job to fix all of this for them. I know I just lost all of my Democrat friends with that statement. I'm just bloggin' honest.

I came home on the bus (first time on the bus, success!) and then went to get a mani-pedi with my friend Brie. Yes, I left the slums and went to the spa. I should be thrown into the polluted Rio.

The spa experience was hysterical. The manicure lady was legit but crazy grandma giving the pedicures was insane. I had to sit in all these weird positions while she held my feet. They don't do the whole big comfy vibrating chair here. It's a plastic chair and a stool. It wasn't exactly pleasant but it was fun. And I see now why a mani-pedi only cost me about 12 dollars.

Well, I'm off to pack some more. I'll post when I return! Hopefully lots of penguin pictures!

Love,
Char

PS - Pray for Mari Kath's grandpa - he's quite sick and in Houston having surgery. Love you!

2 comments:

Will Breard said...

don't worry my friend.. this democrat still loves ya. I don't think its the Argentine government's job to take car of the slums ect.. but in the United States is different. We live in the most porfitable country in the world; we are the richest, laziest, spoiled people on the planet, but somehow we can't help our own citizens get by. I am not a fan of throwing money at a problem.. but sometimes the money will help. I believe in universal health care, or at the very least universal children's health care, because there are some things no one should live without. but whatever...

IM SO EXCITED you get to go see the penguins and the whales! woot woot!

take a million pictures!

Julie Ward said...

Thanks for the shout out! Haha!

Yay penquins!!!!!!!!!