Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Boca, Boating, and Beer

Hola hola! How’s it going patriots? All’s well in Argentina. I’ve spent most of the day in my bed watching all of my fave tv shows from yesterday. A heavenly day. It’s raining so I don’t feel too guilty. I’m jamming out to Midnight Train to Georgia. All’s good.

So last I left you, I was kicking in with frisky grandpa in the park.

Haven’t been back to the park. But I did have quite a scare. I got a text from someone named Gabriel, the name of my park rendezvous. I knew it would be impossible for him to have found my number. I have like a Go Phone. So I am freaking out that he has found me but in a weird haha God you are so humorous way, it turns out that the boy I met at the bar also happened to be named Gabriel. And it was him, Gabriel the 20 something not Gabriel the 80 something. Amen.

Thursday after my internship people told me that all of the computers were broken and that they would just call me when I was needed again (probs ever) I went to go to see the Madres of the Plaze de Mayo march. They do it every Thursday afternoon. It's an orginazation of mothers or family members who lost children. For a while some group or the government was just kidnapping people. The mothers march in their memory and to raise awareness. It's very moving and genuine.

The weekend was great. Friday we started the birthday celebration of Danielle who was reached the age off 22 (the year for you, also rhymes in Spanish – veinte dos es para vos).

I had my first Spanish class with Ester who I found on Craig’s List. She’s super cool and awesome. We met in a café that’s very historic and cool and basically just chatted for 2 hours. I’m going to meet with her 3 times a week.

From there, Santa Barbara met me and we trekked of to La Boca. La Boca is a neighborhood in BA. If you ever see the random pictures of super bright buildings, its La Boca. Very frequently featured on guidebook covers. It’s way on the other side of town and it’s kind of a rough neighborhood and it’s super touristy but I loved it. It’s like a ghetto version Rainbow Row in Charleston with lots of souvenirs and tango dancing. We ate lunch outside while watching some tango. Lots of people hassle you and try to sell things but it’s cool. I even volunteered my amiga Danielle to get on stage and dance. I consider it a birthday gift. It was not well received, but she danced tango on stage in Argentina. That’s cool. You’re welcome Daniela.

We walked around and took lots of pics and shopped for gifts. I had a lovely time. I detoured off on the adventure home to hang out in San Telmo. I had a beer at this outdoor café and watched the hippies sell crafts. One made me an incense burner with stars and moons. I told him that I don’t like incense so he turned it into a picture holder. I didn’t want to buy it but I felt bad but then he rejected my money. He said that money was of this earth and there is so much more and all he really wanted was for me to buy him a beer. I ran away.

I got home, hung out, and then got ready for our fabulous night on the town.

We went to the Faena Hotel bar. It’s the most fancy, coolest, trendiest, most awesome place in Buenos Aires. We got a table by the pool and everything was so hip and there were orange twinkle lights, and I drank a 60 peso martini. Very Sex and the City. Even the bathrooms were fabulous. We took pictures. No lie. It was amazing. I want to check myself in there and never leave. I’ll bet that’s where all the celebs stay.

And from the Faena we went to Fridays. That’s right. TGIF.

Birthday girl wanted a magical mudslide drink or something. We had to ask the doorman at the most luxurious place in this country for directions to TGIFridays. Slightly embarrassing. We took a cab to Fridays and had a lovely meal. We didn’t leave the restaurant until about 2. People here eat so late. I had a big beer and a grilled chicken sandwich and fries. So good. America food. Loved it.

Saturday we slept in and then took the train to Tigre, a small delta town about 30 minutes from BA. The train was fine and the city was cute. Some people call Tigre the Venice of South America. (Must be the same people who call Buenos Aires the Paris of South America. Wrong wrong wrong.) We took a boat tour. The boats work like cabs. People get on and the boats drop them off at their cute little houses. (I thought lots about days on the Ghetto Queen and when we tried to park at the Country Club…) It was all fun until a storm came up and the waves got a bit rocky. We naseausly made it back and went to get lunch. It started raining. We ate and then got back on the train. I’d like to back on a nice day and go to the market and stuff. I think Chatham is more my kid of delta town. I also prefer the raft to the boat we took. No question. But Tigre is kind of what the bayou should be like instead of what it is. Too many mastercrafts. Not enough canoers.

We lounged and chilled for the evening. No one wanted to go out due to the weather. I was sad. So I went to the grocery store and bought Fanta Light, medialunas, and a bottle of wine. Then I went to La Americana and got some empanadas. I ate them and then sulked in my room, drinking my wine. I was missing home and the big events of the weekend. A friend got married in Destin and Brucie also was at a wedding on Sea Island. So I listened to music and drank and cried and watched Sex and the City. I called my Mom who did not listen to a word I said and was prob feeling the effects of the wedding reception if you know what I mean. I’m becoming a homebody in my old age. I miss the South. And smiles.

Low point. But moving on.

Sunday we slept in and then went to Café Martinez, our usual Sunday happenings. I read and drank my coffee. I got restless and went on a long long walk. I ended up in some plaza watching cute little boys play soccer. Then I wondered to Recoleta and went to a bookstore. I bought a new book that I think is basically Argentina chick lit. Then I walked back home. Danielle’s bday was at midnight so we went to La Americana for a drink and a bite to eat. Then we came back and slept.

Monday was Columbus Day, which is observed pretty seriously here. A lot of places closed. But not the mall. We went shopping and I had some serious success. I bought this purse I've had my eye on for a while. I also bought red leather moccasins, cookie monster blue jeans, and a little t-shirt with a bow. If I put all of my purchases on at the same time I look like a crazy US navy enthusiast. I love it all. The purse is like butter. Beautiful, tan, leather.

I came back and did laundry for the first time in a loooong time. Getting the machine is a huge deal. Our whole floor and the sixth floor all share one washer and one dryer. And we thought it was hard at the KD house with all 7 washers and dryers. Lots of people went home or traveled for the long weekend so I managed to snag the washer. Success.

Then I got ready for Danielle’s bday dinner. We went to Cumana, my fave place. Our meal was so good. I got a pumpkin, corn and cheese dish. There were 6 of us, all girls. It was such a fun good meal. Then we went to Alamo do drink America style. And we did. They were showing Monday Night Football. I pretended to be all involved and that I was some huge Eli Manning fan. I think I told everyone in the bar that his wife was in my sorority. I’m sure they were all very impressed.

After mucho muhco cerveza, we started the walk home. I fell. On the sidewalk. I blame my boots, not the beer.

This morning was an adventure. I don’t know how I used to do it in college. I could hardly get out of bed. I just grabbed the first clothes I saw. I left my notebook. I was late. Total disaster. But class was great. Ester and I talked all about our weekends and some current events.

I’ve basically been in bed since then. I did venture out with Danielle to go buy groceries and eat McDonalds. My McNifico burger was delicious. The fries were good and salty. I asked for muchisimo ketchup. They gave me 5 mini packs. When I get home, I’m covering some food in ketchup and eating it. I love it. And I miss it.

I’ve caught up on so much online TV today that megavideo just forbade me from watching any more until 67 minutes pass. That’s just embarrassing. It’s like some little man inside the internet knows how lazy I am.

Off to lounge some more. I’m staying in tonight. Norway just invited me to go to Alamo with them tonight. I think Alamo has seen enough of me for this week.

Tomorrow I have class at 10 and then will probably go to Palermo. I still need a new wallet. I’ve been emailing around trying to get a volunteer thing going helping some poor people or something but no one will email me back. Lame. And my internship still hasn't requested my presence again.

Not sure about this weekend. I might just take off solo and go to Puerto Madryn. It's about 20 hrs in bus but you can go whale watching and see penguins. Not sure.

Love and miss you all.
Chargentina.





Santa Barbara carved some pumpkins














The Madres marching


















Mas madres. That's the Casa Rosada in the background.












Che books, photos, magnets, you name it. They sell it. People love this dude.














La Boca

























Danielle dancing some tango. Happy birthday!

















Hola




















So bright. Loves it.















Flags breezing in La Boca



























Sitting on a bench chillin in la boca.
































La Faena! The fotos didn't really turn out. But just google this place. I just checked into reservations and rooms are like 5000 a night. Guess I'm not checking in.










TGIF

















Tigre















On da boat
































I want this house please.
















Birthday dinner at Cumana








Alamo party
22 - Danielle.














Biggest pitcher of beer in the whole world. It was like a bucket.













Birthday lover

2 comments:

Julie Ward said...

Midnight train to Georgia...reminds me of Vince Vaughn, the G and Roger!!

I so read a book in Dr. Buchanan's class about Las Madres. It's so sad!

I've concluded that my mission in life is now to make you an author. The world will be a better place knowing you, and I can be your publicist and travel with you everywhere! Will and MK can come too =)

Will Breard said...

yay PENGUINS!

go for it.. get down and break a sweat, rock and roll you ain't seen nothing yet!

It sounded like a sweet weekend, i enjoyed our skype the other night and jan is wicked excited about bham! me too! 6 hours is nothing! spring time in bham should be lovely!

Im totally down with julie's idea. I'll help finance as best i can, and will totally be ok with chapters about me!!

yay! argentina!
besos