Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cemetery sulk

I spent today getting my life back together. I had some old traveler's checks from Spain thankfully. I started at the bank across the street. They told me to go to the bank next door. I went to the bank next door, and they told me to go to Citi Bank. I went to Citi Bank and they would only change them in increments of $200. I only had $150. So off I trekked to the American Express office.

It's located in a neighborhood area I hadn't seen yet. It was a long leisurely walk (all the while breaking in my new boots). I finally found it, waited in line for about and hour, and now have 307 pesos to last until a new debit card arrives. (If that ever happens. I hate Regions bank. Tons.)

I then walked for a while, feeling very sorry for myself. I ended up at the Recoleta cemetery again. It was such a lovely place to brood. Just me, a gray sky, a few tourists, some stray cats, and about 500 tombs. I somewhat stalked this couple I could tell was American (man had on a Michigan football hat). I lingered around them for a while, thought about offering to take their picture for them, but finally chickened out. I was starved for smiling American interaction. Ijust wanted to talk to someone happy.

I eventually got it together and went on a lunch hunt. I found this cute little cafe. I sat in the corner to weep and people watch. I got this cool pumpkin and chicken quiche thing. Then this family came in and sat next to me. They were from BA. A mother and father in their late 50s I'd guess and their son (28-30?) I passed them a menu bc they didn't have one and the lady struck up a convo with me.

It was a lovely convo about the USA, Louisiana, Obama v McCain (they think McCain is too old and sick to be president), my internship, and more. My Spanish was rocking. It was a lovely pick me up in this time of distress.

I left (the son did not ask me out. He should have. His mom would be a great mother-in-law.) and headed back to the residence. I then borrowed keys from Santa Barbara and went to get them copied. 18 pesos later, I have keys.

Cash - check. Keys - check. Card - no check.

I was in a melancholy walking mood so I trecked over to the cobblestone streets of San Telmo. It was not as cute without the street fair they have on Sundays. But still a lovely walk. I made it back home again and lounged with Santa Barbara. I went to the grocery store, ate soup, watched some Entourage episodes, and now I'm in bed.

One day at a time.

Tomorrow I'm going to get up (probably at 7 when the contruction starts. I hate living in this building. Hate hate hate.) and maybe go to the gym again. More likely is that I will go drink cafe con leches and eat medialunas. Then internship and maybe a bar or something. We shall see.

I'm a bit crushed in spirit. Hopefully my vigor will return.

3 comments:

Julie Ward said...

I love you my dear Char!!!

Unknown said...

please cheer up!!! i'd call and tell you a funny story or at least make one up to make you feel better. i love you!

Will Breard said...

you got this! seriously!