Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hace frio. Mucho frio.

That means it's cold. Very cold. I sit right now in the student lounge in the warmest lounge outfit I could piece together: argyle socks, blue pajama pants w/ hot air balloons on them, and a black sweatshirt jacket thing. And I'm so cold. I wore a long sleeved shirt, sweater, scarf, and coat today. Que frio! It will be like this for about a week before it starts to warm up. I should enjoy it now bc I'm missing fall this year, and it's my fave season. Enjoy it for me.

Today was a good day. I went to bed after watching Greek online last night around 1:30. I woke up a bit when my Norweigan roomie came in from the club but fell right back to sleep. When I got up at 9 I was still quite tired. I put on my warmest clothes and headed off to school. Mi profesor Frederico was over 30 minutos late. It's pretty much given that whatever you do here will start at least 15 minutes late. 30 was pretty big though. He was very apologetic. He's such a crazy. It was just us again today which is great. However I have a fun story to tell:

So we went over prepositions and por v para and some other stuff and then he suggested we review the parts of the human body. Oh great. Awkward. So Frederico likes to draw on the board the words I don't know. Like if I asked him que significa una silla? He would draw a chair. How cute. Not so cute with the human anatomy.

He drew a huge life size male and female on the board. Complete with all the parts. Oh yes. Penis. Boobs. Lady parts. And it's just us in this little conference room. It was so emberassing. He would point to something and I would name it. If I didn't know it he would write it out. On the board was written : pene, testiculos, etc.... And then he made some fun jokes about how there are a montana de palabras por vagina, penis, etc. Oh how educational.

After school I went to the grocery store and bought apples, water, coca light, yogurt, and some premade from the deli spaghetti. I ate the spag when I got back. It was quite good. I then napped for about 2 hours. I woke up and went to get a quick bite with 2 girls from my dorm. They ate pizza and I got a cafe con leche and this pastry called and alfajor. Ok this I love. It's pronounced Alfa-hore. Get it? I think it's funny. And it was delicious. It's like 2 cookie/biscuit things with dulce de leche in between. They love dulce de leche here. It's like a thick caramel.

I then went to the wine tasting class I signed up for at school. There were about 10 of us there. We learned the history of wine, the different tastes of the tongue, and did some tastings of white wines. The wines were all from Argentina. 1 was a chardonney que no me gusta but the other 2 were great. I have class once a week for 4 weeks. I'll be such the conniseur. I really want to do an Argentina vineyard trip. Maybe when MKB comes to visit...

After class we went to dinner. I was still full from my alfajor so i just drank some wine and hung out. It was quite the ex-pat ocassion. A canadian and 5 americans. Fiesta fiesta. After I walked back here and now I'm chilling. Literally chilling in the way that I am so cold. Chiste....

Everyone is going out to some club tonight. I'm like Grandma status here. I just have no desire to get all club ready and then grind from 3 am to 8 am which is the norm here. I plan on kicking back with my local newspaper and trying to understand it. Perhaps finding a link to Project Runway from last night. There are 3 other girls in the longe with me now who also just graduates. They're not going either. 22 is the new 75.

I saw a boy in a Mississippi State sweatshirt today. I stopped and stared but didn't talk to him. He was buying flowers from a street vendor. What a southern gentleman. Otra chiste...

So here's a few more pics. Love to Louisiana, esp the Big BR sin electricidad. Poor MKB is sleeping at work.

-CharStar

This is right across the street. McDonaldization. I should send this to my sociology 315 teacher Dr. O. The Mickey Dee's are quite popular here. They also have McCafe's with just desserts. I haven't been to one. Yet.









This is my building. It's old and pretty. I live on the 3rd floor. There are more students on the 6th floor too. I know there's a tango studio and a salon upstairs somewhere.















This is a protest from yesterday. Because we live on the same street as the Congreso, people are always outside protesting. This one was about teacher salaries and educational funding. Love to Katie and my teacher friends. All of the students ditched school to march. Lots of political activism here.

1 comment:

Julie Ward said...

Char Star!!!! Don't ever stop posting. I love to hear your updates!