Monday, September 8, 2008

Skype Hype

So I have discovered and conquered Skype (www.skype.com). It's like an instant messenger but you can verbally speak to each other and video chat. Obsessed. Yesterday I talked to Will and Morgan. Even more fun is that you get to watch yourself talk via the camera. Now I must admit (and if you've ever been anywhere with me that has a mirror, say Burgundy Room or something similar, you know) I love this. So get Skype and we can chat! It's free.

Well the rest of the weeknd was chillaxin relaxin cool. Saturday was very tranquilo. I went to a cafe down the street with the Santa Barbara girls. It was cold and rainy - the perfect day for kicking it in a cafe or watching One Tree Hill. Either really. But we cafe'ed and it was fun. We read newspapers and drank capucinos and looked hipster and Uptown Coffee-ish.

We stayed in Sat night and watched a movie (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days - it gets better with age, my friends). I slept in Sunday. Then I got up and we all went to San Telmo (a cool neighborhood) for a street fair they have every Sunday. It rocked! Sad to think how much my mood fluctuates depending on good shopping. I basically came alive. I bought a cool tango poster and some earrings. This totalled at about 11 dollars. Hooray for Argentina's economy.

After we shopped for a while we walked back and lounged some more (noticing a trend? I feel like my brother Ben who doesn't just end up hanging out on the couch for a while but actually plans it and calls it "couch time" - with a purpose). We ate at the pizza place across the street for dinner and then had more couch time.

At midnight, Madonna tickets went on sale. Her world tour is stoppping here on December 6. We tried for about 2 hours to get tickets online but ticketek is about as cool as ticketmaster and it wouldn't work. We're going to try to go to a kiosk and buy tickets later.

Lots of good music here. The Pepsi Music festival is coming up. Stone Temple Pilots, Dave Matthews, 9 Inch Nails - sadly no Justin or Britney, but it will do.

On a musical note (chiste...jajaja) I listen the the In the Heights Soundtrack and The Avett Brothers pretty much constantly during couch time.

Speaking of music again- I just got back from my internship interview. And it was perfect. So cool. It's with El Club del Disco. I know that sounds like a night club, but it's not.

El Club del Disco is a small business that promotes independent musicians. Every month they release a cd of some cool unsigned musician and a magazine about cool music. I'm going to be translating the magazine into English. When I went to the office today, it had such a cool vibe. Can't wait. I go again on Thursday. (http://clubdeldisco.com/sitio/index.php) Cool cool cool.

Sorry this post is a bit jumpy. Back to this morning. I fell. On the sidewalk. On the way to school. I felt all Carrie Bradshaw when she went all the way to Paris to squat in Dior. Many a local stopped to help me up.

Despite this rocky/sidewalky start, it's been a great day. My classs with Frederico went really well. The interview rocked. Lucas, the guy from GIC who is in charge of the internship program took me to my interview. Lucas - oh please picture this. You know the guy in Wedding Crashers who's all like "Hey Vince Vaughn, I made you a painting..." and he's creepy and funny and stuff. Well imagine him, but he's hot. That's Lucas. I don't know why but all the girls love him. He's so cute. He's from BA and is in college I think. He told me he has a biochem test wednesday -so he's smart too. It was fun to go around the city with him. Not so bad to go for the cheek kiss either. At one point our hands touched. I just wanted to latch on.

Since then I went with Santa Barbara to try to buy Madonna tickets. So did basically every other person in the city. The line was huge. We nexted it and went to buy bus tickets to go to Mendoza this weekend. That was quite an ordeal but 2 hours and $100 dollars later, we're going Thursday-Sunday. Can't wait. It's supposed to be all vineyardy and outdoorsy. Vineyard - check. Outdoorsy - I can fake it. I did spend all summer at camp. (See Jan - I should have packed the outdoorsy shorts..)

After our fiasco with the bus tickets, the McDonalds next door was literally screaming, "Americans - come seek comfort in fries and fountain diet coke." And so we went. It was the best diet coke I've ever had. Sadly, no filet of fish in Argentina. Triste.

I then went to wine class. We did red wine today. I found my new fave wine ever. It's a syrah from Argentina. It costs like 6 dollars a bottle. I'm stocking up.

I'm about to go to a bar that shows... NFL games on monday nights. Now you know how much I love watching a football game (Oh wait, no. I'm a grover, not a gamer) but it should be fun.

Much love to home. Yay BA!

- Ch ch ch char

Fotos!

La feria de San Telmo














Henni (Norway roomie) and I at the feria

















A foto de a kiosko. They have kioskos on every street. They basically just sell goodies.













This is the obelisco. It is basically the washington monument.

















This is Avenida 9 de Julio - the widest street in the world. Not so sure why this is something to be super proud of. Crossing it takes 2 seperate lights.











The line for Madonna tickets.

2 comments:

Will Breard said...

turn around right now and get madonna tickets! i want you to see her if i can't!!!!!! all the gays will be there! hahahahaha

loves the mcdonalds.. and well we are going to have to have a mini wine tasting class when you get back!

Julie Ward said...

teach me how to skype!!!