Monday, September 15, 2008

Tango, Trabajo, Travel

Those are the big three T's of last week. Sorry I haven't posted - See I actually made some friends (if you recall in one of my firsts posts I predicted that this might occur and that it would impact my blog time ) and so now I have less blog time. But now I'm back and recommitted to sharing my adventuras.

So where did I leave off. Oh yes, about to go to El Alamo to watch NFL. Talk about a time warp. I could have been in any Oxford bar/frat house. It was all of these screaming drunk American boys yelling at the television. I was just waiting for Ben Mintz to show up. Good news is girls drink free beer. Bad news is it comes in a clear plastic solo cup and tastes like the bottom of the Keystone keg. Very fun, very funny, very why I am here if I wanted to be doing this I would not have moved to South America.

Tuesday. Hmm. Can't even remember. School I'm thinking... Yes. School was good. Then I went shopping which was better. Oh the glory of the peso. I still have no idea really how currency fluctuates etc. but it's working out well in my shopping favor. I went to the Gallerias Pacificas, a nice fancy mall with painted cielings that look all Vaticany. I was on the hunt for boots after the fall incident on Avenida de Mayo. And I found some. Beautiful, fabulous, classic yet trendy boots. They're a navyish color. Flat. Below the knee. Love. Now back in the old US of A spending $100 on shoes is sadly quite common for me. And probably you too. Well for 417 pesos which in my mental math comes out to be about 14o dollars (jk, just had to use my calculator widget). And I love these boots. They are very Mallory Neely-esque.

Fast forward to Wednesday. I wear the boots. Oh the pain. The pain. If you've ever seen that episode of Friends with Monica and the boots - quite similar. But I think I can work through the pain and break them in. Oh I will. Game on.

So I learned how to tango. Kind of! My dancing skills other than the Rebelette impressions and my much envied kick spin lean move are quite limited. My only other dance class experience other that the 2 years of ballett, tap, jazz fron 2-3 grade is a salsa lesson they forced us to take in Costa Rica which ended up on my top 5 most emberassing moments list. (Dancing with a girl, Ole Miss Basketball team, Costa Rica dance studio full of Ole Miss students.... bad bad bad). I was a bit nervous but when in Buenos Aires, one must tango. Our program set up this free lesson at the Confiteria Ideal. This place is legendary. It's even #1 on things to do in one of my 6 guide books.

We walked over to the place and went in - it's so pretty and cool and old and tangoish. The tango has 8 basic steps. We put on our heels and learned them. Then we had to practice turning by leaning on this column in the middle of the room. Every 5 minutes or so this old guy would come and steal one of us away to dance with him. I was like ducking on the sides of the column to avoid this but eventually he got me.

So we danced. Kind of. I was having issues not stepping straight into him, but I'm so sorry if I'm not super gung ho to take off into this man's pelvis. I got the hang of it after a while. I can do the basic steps. That may be all the tangoing I do. Done and done. Check it off the list.

Thursday was a big dia. I had to give a presentation to my class aka just Frederico. I also had my first day of work. My presentation had to be about something in the past from America. I chose every Ole Miss students favorite topic - racism! I even made a power point. I did the whole James Meredith thing. Frederico loved it and now thinks the South is even odder than he did before.

Then I was off to work. I jumped on the metro and then got a bit lost but I found it. I was quite nervous as I buzzed the office but they somehow understood me and came down to let me in. It was a great day at work. Everyone is so cool. I basically have no responsibilities and I think GIC pays them to let me be there but whatevs. I did some research on how to open an online store for their website. I wrote some english emails for them. I'll explain more later. My boss is beautiful. He was wearing a delicate scarf though...

After work I came back to the residencia, packed, and took off on our trip to Mendoza! Will post that later today. We got back at 7 am so I've been killing time til school at 9:30. It's now 9 so I must get ready to go see my Frederico.

Adios.

Highlights of the week - Frederico drawing a Spanish timeline on the board and saying I am at the end but just have some holes missing that we can fill in ( aka he thinks my Spanish is good)

My hot boss telling me my Spanish is way better than the last intern they had.

Success!

Walking back from NFL game we stopped to admire the shoe stores. Ahhhh.












Tango at the Confiteria Ideal

2 comments:

Will Breard said...

omg i've been checking everyday for new posts! i love every second of it and please keep them up.. i get the same feeling reading harry potter.. you know what kind of compliment that is! im so glad you got your boots and your job is sweeeeeet.. and im so jealous that mkb is coming to visit you! miss you!

Julie Ward said...

disregard the other post! yay for your job and go Char Star with the EspaƱol! Klodt would be so proud....

Im jealous of MKB too!!!!!!