Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Settling in.

Hola todos! Things in BA are going. I'm getting to know the city better each day. That sounds so poetic. Almost as poetic as I felt while sitting in a coffee shop drinking cafe con leche and reading. It was fun. I like the program I'm in. It's very different than the other times I've studied abroad. Very individualized and independent. I have only seen the whole group one at orientation and will likely not see some of them again. I am getting to know everyone on my floor in the residencia. There are about 10 people in my program on this floor. I haven't mustered up the confidence to canon ball into the water of argentine friends yet. I'll get there soon.

So people here kiss on greeting and saying goodbye. Que horror. I'm not so big on the physical touch of others. I kind of wave the hand wave which my teacher says is quite rude but it is what it is.

I had my first day of class today. It was great - a little basic but great. It was just Frederico, mi profesor, who is probs my age. He looks just like this English TA katie, morgan and I had in college. Crazy curly hair. Kind of like a super skinny Star Trek Johnny Depp. Very entertaining. For the last 2 hours of class it was just me and him. We played a board game that's a cross between boggle and scatagories. It was quite fun!

No one at GIC can understand that my major in college was Spanish. Especially bc I don't speak it all that well. Both Frederico and Delia, the woman from the front desk, have quizzed me about this. I assure them that yes Spanish was what I studied. Eventually I just told them that it was literature (true) and not much actual speaking. I need to find a grad program and get a real major or something.

So after much confusion I still don't have an internship, but I think I am getting an awesome music one. It sounds very edgy and hipster which fits in perfectly with my cool new south american persona (except I did wear a Talbots sweater today which makes my hipster level descend a bit).

I had dinner tonight with 2 girls from my program. At dinner, a man at the next table asked us if we were all from different countries as one was african american, one chinese, and me. I told him we were all from EEUU and that it was a country of many cultures but all live together as one country. USA is A OK. Amer I Can. It was a beautiful moment. I felt like an ambassador. He just looked confused.

US politics are huge here. Obama is in the media everywhere. Along with Sarah Palin and her fam issues.

Love to America. Miss you all.

PS - I just watched Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill premieres online. SO good. It took a lot of links and patience but so worth it. Thanks jesus for sidereel.com.

2 comments:

Julie Ward said...

Don't ever give up your Talbot's sweaters!!!

Will Breard said...

i'm loving this!